Wednesday, February 09, 2011

SONG POISONING: THE CURE'S "FIRE IN CAIRO"
Now it's your turn


This song has been in the head for the past two weeks.

The only cure (as it were) is to put a mantra in its place.

That said, it holds up and is still a great, great song!

How well I remember picking up "Boys Don't Cry" on my first trip to Chicago's famous Wax Trax record store back in 1982. A handful of us newbie college radio folks went on a vinyl-buying expedition, and my friend Bubble guided my choices. At his behest I also picked up Siouxsie & the Banshees' "Once Upon a Time / The Singles." As soon as I got back to the dorm, I put the vinyl on the turntable, lay on the bed, and examined the liner notes. The mind was totally and completely blown by the music; each song was better than the last, and they were the best two records I'd ever heard up to that point. No wonder I was a DJ for the next 15 years. No wonder it hurt so much to give away my record collection in a fit of yoga-fueled renunciation back in 2009.

But it had to be done.

And as the Bhagavad-Gita defines sattva (peace/purity/harmony):

"What is poison in the beginning becomes nectar in the end."

2 comments:

  1. Taking a break from my desk job and glanced at your blog, then Googled the medical journals. The American Academy of Family Physicians agrees with you.

    Exercise, Yoga, and Meditation for Depressive and Anxiety Disorders
    http://www.aafp.org/afp/2010/0415/p981.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the link. It's good when science backs up the big-R Reality!

    ReplyDelete