Thursday, February 05, 2009

YOGA, THE GOV AND THE NEO GOV




A curious coincidence:


On Wednesday nights I teach yoga just below the Chicago office of recently-ousted Illinois Governor Rod Blagojević.

On Wednesday mornings I teach yoga just below the Chicago office of recently-installed Illinois Governor Patrick Quinn.

If they'd just consider(ed) venturing downstairs, crossing the threshold and practicing yoga, perhaps the second line of the ashtanga closing prayer (ie; the Mangala Mantra, from the Rig Veda) could come true: Nya yena margena mahi mahishaha, or Let the administrators rule the world with law and justice....

....which could lead to Lokah samastah sukhino bhavantu: May all beings be happy and prosperous.

We can only hope.

Om shanti!




* * *

NOTE: The students in this priceless 2002 video of Sri K. Pattabhi Jois seem to be tittering because they didn't realize there's a final Surya Namaskar after the closing prayer. Watching this video made me realize just how much I miss that dear man's teaching. The heart literally aches, and it becomes crystal clear why I was so miserable in Mysore last year. I also realize how lucky I am to study with Dharma and Chandra - whose teachings pick up where his left off. Thinking about this, the ache gives way to overwhelming gratitude.

2 comments:

  1. You make a very good point with the recent activities in the Ill gov. Interesting they are so close to something so peaceful. Maybe some of that energy can travel:)
    The video made me smile and sort of sad, because I think I realize I may never get the chance to practice with SKPJ...I tried when Nicole & I traveled to Islamorada last year and he fell ill.
    I find comfort in knowing others have found their teacher. I hope to find mine; perhaps in this lifetime?
    Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:36 AM

    great to see and hear him sounding so robust feel lucky to have been around him, even if it was brief and at some distance nycwhistler

    ReplyDelete