Thursday, November 27, 2008

BIG SHOW FRIDAY: RAHAT FATEH ALI KHAN IN CHICAGO




The great Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan's nephew / protégé / disciple and handpicked successor will perform at the Gateway Theater this Friday at 8:30.

Bindi and I caught Rahat Fateh Ali Khan and his party (band) at the Mystical Journey concert in March, and it was transformational.

He is known for Qawwali, the devotional music of the Sufis, or mystical Muslims. The singing puts the performers into a trance, and they feel that they are one with God - which is also the goal of all yogis.

It is a type of bhakti yoga - the yoga of devotion.

They are also journeyman musicians, singing ghazals and ballads to movie audiences.

And occasionally they collaborate with Western musicians like Eddie Vedder, as in this Dead Man Walking concert for Murder Victims' Families for Reconciliation. Watch Rahat steal the show four minutes in.

This video may also help you feel better about the tragic events in Mumbai.




If anyone wants to go to the concert, please call or e-mail!

Details here.




2 comments:

  1. : )
    thanks for the heads up on that.
    not to be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi CK, I was checking if I could get 'mysore.blogspot.com' and found that it has been taken by you. Then ended up reading some of your blogs. Hilarious!
    But the best thing that I liked (I literally burst out laughing, making my colleagues get up and look into my cabin) was the photo on your profile!!!
    That is Rajkamal Theatre on Vinobha Road in Mysore, I am sure. I have seen those two holes in the wall at least 100 times, but never found it funny. But looking at it from a foreigner's perspective and the look on your face (I assume that is you?) and the way you are standing is so..... 'theatrical' (forgive the pun)!!
    Anyway, I see that you have taken this name for the blog much much earlier, so me will look for something else.
    Nice blog...again.
    Rgds
    Balraj
    Mysore
    j.a.balraj@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete