Sunday, June 29, 2008

"I CAN THINK. I CAN WAIT. I CAN FAST."




This is the line the character Siddhartha says over and over again in the Herman Hesse novel and Conrad Rooks film of the same name.

I saw the film last night; it stars my favorite actor, Shashi Kapoor and is well worth seeing. The cinematography is stunning, the music is from Rabindranath Tagore and the subject matter is, well, enlightening.

The film is said to be about Buddhism; for me, it was more about the alienating, vexing, nonlinear quest for self-realization.
And India of course.

The quote from Siddhartha reminds me of something Dharma says:

"A yogi must learn three things: To be patient. To be quiet. To fast."

In yoga, we're supposed to NOT think.

In yoga, we're searching for the Self within the self.

I think Shashi Kapoor may have reached that goal, if this recent quote is any indication:

"It's only service to the needy that gives you peace. In the end it is only this which will give you strength. Not your wealth - not your stirring performances"

1 comment:

  1. My favorite too, especially with that lovely quote :) I've been hoping to see this one.

    cheers
    Beth
    http://bethlovesbollywood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete