Wednesday, January 31, 2007

THE MUNDANE AS MARVELLOUS

I mentioned on Sunday that it seems like the only Americans who still retain a sense of wonder are children, immigrants and older working class folks. Those are the people who stopped and stared when I did Saturday's yoga demo.

The whole time of course I was thinking about Robert Smigel's brilliant short "The Baby, The Immigrant, and the Guy on Mushrooms," which originally aired on the most subversive program yet to appear on cable television -- TV Funhouse.

Prior to YouTube I'd seen it only once -- but it stuck in my head.

Now it can be viewed over and over, out of context, until it no longer seems like the masterpiece it truly is.

1 comment:

  1. I retain a sense of wonder, especially when I am on a beach and see bikini clad hard bodies.

    ReplyDelete