Sunday, January 14, 2007



CRICKETS


Despite today's 12PM Bears playoff game, there were seven people in my noon ashtanga class.

We did a twist with goal-post arms at the end, in honor of the Bears.

When I finally turned it on, the game was neck-and-neck, and went into overtime. The nail-biter ended when kicker Robbie Gould nailed a 49-yard field goal.

It was truly thrilling. I haven't been interested in the Bears since I dated one -- and here I was screaming along with the best of 'em.

As soon as the game was over, I went to teach my 4PM ashtanga class at the Fancy Health Club.

On the way I called Dreyfus.

"What was the name of the kicker?"

He told me over and over until I got it right.

When I got to class I asked how many people had seen the game; most of them had.

"That's why we're here," one of them said. "To get over the excitement."

Later, when we did shoulderstand, I saw them starting to look around -- even though I had shown them the whole sequence ahead of time.

I went into my routine.

"Don't turn your head, or you could damage your neck."

"Don't even turn it if Bobby Gould and his golden foot walk into the room."

Nothing. Nada. Pure silence.

Could it be due to the fact that I got one letter wrong in his name?

Later, I led them through a pre-savasana twist.

"Now bend at the elbows to make goal-post arms -- in honor of Bears kicker Robbie Gould."

One person tittered.

ONE

Out of 17.

And you call this a football town...?

1 comment:

  1. Those 7 peaps are not Bears fans, as true fans would be too intoxicated to walk, much less do some yoga.

    ReplyDelete